Thanks for looking at my blog and all comments are appreciated

Sunday 15 July 2012

Another project completed

I finally completed my latest project, this time its for our local vicar who is moving from this parish in early August to another parish with his family after 15 years.  One change I made was to use varigated threads which surprisingly were cheaper than DMC or Anchor threads.  Compared to their £ 0.90 I only paid £ 0.30 per skein.  I also changed the design of the corner flowers after playing around with material however, stitching them onto the cushion at the end was more frustrating than on previous ones.   Only trouble is the family leaves when we are away, so the cushion is hidden away at my parent's home, so I am taking a risk putting it on here at the moment.  
The top part after playing around with the varigated threads
The dreaded shields and boat that is on the church sign outside
The finished piece
Really pleased how the flowers turned out on this one
The back view
This time I went a bit adventurous on the hem
I have also been surfing the net to find cheaper and different material.  One difficulty I have found is whilst materials are cheaper, you never know what you are going to receive and what the quality is like, the other option is buying locally and paying more money.  One place I did find for material, who actually provides free samples is www.myfabrics.co.uk so I have some samples on order and am waiting to see whether I can save some money and have a decent purchase.  Whilst our local shops, all 2 of them have a good selection, to get a more wider choice the nearest place is in Norwich 26 miles away and I never seem to get the time to go there.  My DH, Steve says that I have an expensive hobby, my argument is that whilst I am stitching I keeping busy and not raiding the cupboards and picking on food, especially chocolate.

High School and the Summer Holidays

This past week has also seen our daugher leave Primary school and she will be starting High school tomorrow and my son will be beginning his final year there.   Whilst she is looking forward to going, she does have mixed feelings and it seems to be the end of an era.  However,  we just have this one more week and then the kids finish school for the summer holidays.   I just hope the relentless rain we are getting eases off for at least the next 6 weeks with just a light shower at night especially as we will be away for the majority of the time.  One thing is certain though, whilst we are away I won't be stitching cushions as much so I am at the minute so I will not be spending money on my pastime, not unless I see any kits or charts!!!


15 comments:

  1. Lovely pillow! The vicar will love it! Thanks for sharing!

    Melissa J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, shame we will be away when my mother gives it to him during his leaving party.

      Delete
  2. Great job with the pillow, love the flower detail. Let your husband know that making gifts for people is cheaper than buying and can personalize them. LOL, it can get expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emily, I usually stitch the flowers on before completing the actual cushion, but I did think this time it would be protuding too much when machine stitching, so I stitched them on last. I do love to do gifts with a personal touch, the trouble is organising the time to ensure they are done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your pillows. I am sure the pastor will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he does, will certainly be something to remind him of his time with us.

      Delete
  5. Another great finish and love the flowers.

    Marl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marl, got to admit I am well pleased with the flowers

      Delete
  6. What a thoughtful gift to give a fellow parishiner. :) I hope your kiddos are enjoying their summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meari, the kiddos will start summer on Friday when the schools break up, we just hope that when we are away we get less rain than we have been having.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful keepsake, I am sure the vicar and his family will cherish it. I love the finish and those flowers are gorgeous. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dusty, I have to admit I loved stitching this one, especially as there were not so many stitches as my Dad's cushion and it was good to see how the varigated threads came out on the design.

    ReplyDelete