Thanks for looking at my blog and all comments are appreciated

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Goodbye 2012 ~ Hello 2013

Its now week 2 of 2013 and I haven't written on my blog for a good couple of months now.  Whilst I could say that I have been so busy, that would be a total lie.  For the past year and a half, my beautiful step-daughter has been battling cancer with great courage, however towards the end of 2012 her health started to deteriorate.  Unfortunately, during December Natalie passed away just 6 days short of her 27th birthday.  Although we, as a family had accepted that this was going to happen, it's still been a shock, however we feel blessed everyday that she was in our lives and that her memory will live on in her artwork that is hung around the house.  Natalie did have one quote from Mark Twain that summed her up perfectly:

“Sing like no one's listening,
love like you've never been hurt,
dance like nobody's watching,
and live like its heaven on earth.”


Natalie Barbara Wilson 20/12/1985 - 14/12/2012


For Natalie it inspired her to take each day one step at a time, not to worry about the past or future, to remind her that each day was precious, limited and unique.  When talking in conversation on the telephone to a social worker we work with through our fostering she said she found when people passed away she looked at their qualities in life and has tried to incorporate one into her life.  At the minute, I am still thinking what special quality I will incorporate into my life.
 
Stitching News
 
At the minute I am still plodding on with my big cross stitch, obviously this is going to be more poignant, especially as I still have Natalie's face and body to do.  I have worked out I still have roughly 42,000 stitches to completion and I am going to crack on to complete it. 
 
 


 
In the meantime though, I did complete 2 more cushions, one for an ex looked after child for her new foster carers as a Christmas present and one for my DH as I wanted something special for him and from the heart.  I did have an order from a local brewery, and whilst the majority of it is stitched I have to work out how to make material hops inplace of the usual flowers for them. 
 
 
To my DH,
Almost complete...just need to figure out how to do the hops
 
Belated Resolutions
 
Towards the end of the year, following Natalie's passing, I did post on my online groups some New Year's resolutions.  However, yet again I haven't been able to keep any of them, at the moment, but I am now as I feel more comfortable with them.
 
1 Make time to correspond more to my online groups.
~~~~~~~~~~
 2 Get my big cross stitch on the way to completion of all the kids and
especially get the remainder of Ben and Natalie on material.
~~~~~~~~~~
 3 Continue with making my cushions and start an online shop and, as my
 family keep telling me, to believe in myself and my achievements. 
~~~~~~~~~~
 4 Contact the Louise Hamilton Palliative Care centre which is going to open
 in 2013 at our local hospital and volunteer 2 days a week, putting my social
 work skills into good use. Whats the point of getting my degree if I cannot
 use it, besides I haven't got the time to work full time with 8 of us in the
house.
~~~~~~~~~~
 5 Start posting again on my blog. Especially with regards to resolution No
 2 as it can be my online journal of getting this cross stitch completed. I
 did a rough estimate and worked out I have about 42,000 stitches to do
.

~~~~~~~~~~
 
So for now, I have loads to get started on, but will leave with something different from the usual.  Take some time out to listen to the lyrics and have a healthy and happy 2013 xxx
 
Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
 

8 comments:


  1. Lisa, it's so good to read your post - I've been wondering how you were but didn't want to email you again under the circumstances. Such sad news about Natalie, she was a beautiful girl and far too young - my sympathies and thoughts to you and your family. I hope you all enjoyed your early Christmas Day and she got to see Ben and Victoria open their presents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eunice, its been and still is a tough time. Sorry I couldn't help you're friend at the time. Natalie got her wishes. To be at home at the end, to see some snow, which I went outside the hospital to take into her, and she got to see Benjamin and Victoria open their Christmas presents from her and open her ones and her birthday presents.

      Delete
  2. I wish you the best in keeping your resolutions. My thoughts are with you and I like the idea of taking on a quality of a loved one that has passed. Cyber hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mab, she had so many good qualities that it will take a bit of time to think which one stands out the most.

      Delete
  3. Though sad, your post is lovely and very thought provoking. What a beautiful young woman who has touched so many. Thanks for sharing, you are all in my thoughts. Love your stitching too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, since my post I have struggled to do any stitching as I have now come down with conjuctivitis in both eyes, but hopefully the eye drops will help xxx

      Delete
  4. So sorry for your loss! Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete